Consistent battery acid spills and corrosion that is present in a battery may sometimes turn out to be a messy and dangerous occasion. Spilling of acid on the skin and eyes may burn these body parts. Baking soda can effectually. The acid corrosion on the metals may prove to be fatal since it erodes a significant portion of the metallic substance.
Spilling the acid on your clothes will likely ruin them, while getting it in your eyes is extremely dangerous. Baking soda can effectively neutralize the corrosive nature of electrolyte and washing your clothes in a solution of baking soda and water can also minimize the damage from a spill. Electrolyte is basically sulfuric acid. The chemical formulae for Sulfuric acid is H2SO4 which describes is a very strong acid and must be handled with outmost care.
Sodium Bicarbonate is the chemical terminology for baking soda. The chemical formulae for baking soda is NaHCO3. The latter comprises of a single sodium atom, a single hydrogen atom, a single atom of carbon, and three oxygen atoms. Sodium Bicarbonate being a base is able to experience a neutralizing chemical reaction with the electrolyte. This chemical reaction triggers a fast and better measurable results.
Steps for neutralizing battery acid using baking soda
There are several steps to consider when neutralizing a baking soda using battery acid. These steps include:
- Make a paste of baking soda and water. Spoons will be used to create a better mixture of these two ingredients.
- Use the sponge to cleanse the paste onto the section of the leather damaged due to the adverse negative effects of the sulfuric acid. You may see some bubbling chemical reaction between these sulfuric acid and sodium bicarbonate. This chemical reaction is ordinary one where the outcome is a neutral substance that will not stir health effects to the individual.
- Rinse the sponge thoroughly in very clean water free from figs or ducts.
- Wipe away the baking soda and neutralized acid using the tidy sponge
- Remove the moisture in the region using a piece of dry cloth
- Though the battery acid will be neutralized, and will not stir more hazardous effects, this practice will erase any spots or stains remaining. Even though it will necessitate a certain level of professionalism to execute this repair.
- Since the particular region has been adversely affected by the battery acid, there is no proof of topical stain to erase. If there is no other means to substitute the area, you may have to replace a large region.
Precautions to consider when neutralizing the battery Acid
Several precautions should be highlighted when handling battery acids. Persons should elude touching the affected body parts making contact with the battery acid until it has been neutralized. On the contrary, individuals should neutralize the battery acid by wiping the affected body part using a cloth immersed in vinegar. Sometimes, it is important to wear the rubber gloves for thorough protection against the hazardous effects of the battery acid spills.